Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Laundry Days








Life gets in the way of quilting. Since quilting is "just" my hobby it is something that I do in my available free time but gee, I would rather quilt than do the housework and laundry. On days like today when I am out and about running errands (and doing loads of laundry) I miss sewing.



Yesterday when I was out and about I did stop at the LQS Rosie's Calico Cupboard to get some fabric for sashing on my latest quilt. I have finished 42 monkey wrench blocks to make what Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville calls Little Monkey. I think mine will be called Little Monkey on My Back since making the blocks was so addicting. They finish up to be 5" square and this is the first time I ever made blocks that small. I got some light yellow fabric which I hope to cut today so I can lay it out and start sewing it together.
I am still trying to get the hang of blogging. I know that I read many blogs every day and my favorites are the ones with photos. So, I am trying to get my pictures in also. I know I will get better.
Today's picture is a quilt that I made for Project Linus. I call it my 80 patch pattern since it is a standard formula that I like to use on my charity quilts. Over the years it has evolved from 80 4.5" cut blocks to a mixture of blocks where some are pieced together such as 2.5" squares sewn together into a four patch and bricks of 2.5 x 4.5 sewn together. In the last bunch of 80 patch quilts I have substituted an 8.5" block or two for some of the squares. It sews together a bit faster and it is a good way to use focus fabrics and make a theme for the quilt. This one pictured above was made with scraps of fabrics that were given to me. I have two others that are in the works, one that is black and orange and I am cutting pink squares for a very pink quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment